Friday 8 July 2011

Lost in Bali (2-5 July 2011)

Last September, a friend informed us there was a free ticket promo on AirAsia to Bali. We grabbed it right away. I was no a huge fan of Bali, no matter how much I was exposed to the beauties of it. Dunno why, maybe it was the fact that I was raised in an island myself, so I wasn't unfamiliar to beaches and stuff.
The only thing that encouraged me to go was what my husband said, "Take it as a new experience, so when strangers or foreigners ask whether you've been to Bali, you can give an accurate answer." So I was challenged.

The departure flight was delayed for 30 minutes, it was already quite bit late, 9.20 pm (I unexpectedly met my childhood friend, he was a ground staff of the flight). We - me&husband + his mom, dad & sister - arrived at Ngurah Rai domestic airport (quite small) at about 11 pm. My husband's cousin picked us. 
We went right away to our hotel, AP Inn Hotel (Poppies Lane 1). And for anything, I won't recommend this hotel at all. For its price, the service & facilities were beyond disappointing. Breakfast was limited (you can choose from 3 packages. Package A: toast, fresh fruit salad (contains of few slices of watermelon and pineapple), and tea/coffee/orange juice. Package B: toast, egg in any style (don't believe it, they can't even make a proper omelet), tea/coffee/orange/juice. Package C: banana/honey (super thin) pancake, egg, and tea/coffee/orange juice. Other than that, you must pay for it.
The room was smelly, damp. No amenities other than towels and a mini bar of soap. It was saved by the bathtub. The bathroom was dirty and scruffy. No coffee table, and the supposed-to-be cupboard was seedy (no doors!).
We rented a car (Picanto), 170k/day, without driver. On first day, we went to Tanah Lot, Goa Gajah, went around Ubud, then Kintamani. The last place was wonderful, very cold and serene. But the calo over there was beyond annoying. Our first lunch was nasi babi guling kaki lima. NYAM SUPER NYAM! Only 20k. Chinese food for dinner, yeah, I know.


Second day, my husband and I rented a motorcycle. We went to Sanur beach (pretty quiet), where we had nasi ayam campur for 15k. NYAMMMM. We had lunch at Nasi Pedas Ibu Andhika. OMG. Heaven!!! Even though it was spicy like hell, I LOVED IT! Then off we went to Nusa Dua, Tanjung Benoa (sight seeing only). KFC for dinner. I know. I know. Bought some gifts at Krisna. Visited Legian Ground Zero at midnight and met drunken bules.


The last day, we rented a Xenia (250k/8 hrs), incl. driver. We went to Sukowati, then another centre of Bali gift, lunch at Andika again, then dinner at Jimbaran! We chose Grand Sea View - the marketing was super annoying, kept nagging us what or when will we order - and the view was superb. The dinner itself was delicious.
And at 11 pm WITA (delayed again for 30 mins), off we returned to Jakarta.


Now.. what do I think of Bali?
Compared to Patong-Phuket, IMHO, Bali is overrated. For me, it's just like Bandung + beach + sun + bules. Local food isn't easy to be found. And how can you expect me to have Mie Jakarta or Soto Surabaya or steak for my meal there?
The landscape, well it is beautiful. Really. The beaches are pretty.
Local people are pretty friendly. But when they greet, "Hi! Morning! How are you! etc etc" don't be too confident. Most likely they are greeting some bules around/behind you :D
Oh, but some local people did greet me with English :D


No comments: